I was, and still am in a state of joy after having some lovely friends over for my first Bluberry Pancakes Forever cooking class/get together. I had a range of ladies – from longtime cooks to those who are just starting or don’t cook often, and from what I’ve heard everyone learned a little something new. I didn’t realize how fulfilling it would be to share what I know about clean, organic, wholesome cooking in a live setting with others wiling to learn. Such a great experience!
ON THE MENU
I kept this meal fun, fresh, healthy and simple! This is perfect if you have children or have more than two to cook for. It’s super easy to double the recipes for larger families or get togethers.
Main dish: Asparagus Frittata with Goat Cheese
Side Salad: Spinach Goat Cheese Salad & Honey Vinaigrette
Last but not least – Dessert: Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars with Graham Cracker Crust
I love how colorful each dish is! I always feel like a food nerd when I say things like “look at the pretty colors” or “smell this ingredient isn’t it amazing?”! But hey I’m passionate about these things. 😉
We started with the Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars because why not have your dessert first!! Actually we started with them because they take the longest to bake, and I wanted to let everyone take one home as a delicious souvenir.
It might not seem like it, but there are so many nutritious ingredients hiding in this delectable dessert. Cinnamon and almonds in the graham cracker crust – lemon zest, coconut sugar and blueberries in the cheesecake, just to name a few! All of these lovely ingredients have great healing properties which makes this such a healthy indulgence.
Next, we made the fresh Spinach and Goat Cheese Salad with Honey Vinaigrette! This is one of my all time favorite salads!!
The green spinach makes the red strawberries really pop, and I love adding toasted almonds to give the salad that nice bit of crunchiness. A little side note you can toast the almonds as you are preheating the oven for the cheesecake bars. You’ll need them for the graham cracker crust, as well! Just by looking at this salad you can see all of the good for you ingredients. It’s packed full of antioxidants and vitamin C!
The vinaigrette is so easy, and tasty you’ll ask yourself “why haven’t I been making my own salad dressing all these years??”
Finally, we jumped into making the main course – Asparagus Frittata with Goat Cheese. You will not believe how easy and fantastic this dish is. I added ham to my recipe, but you can omit the ham or use a different meat all together if you wish.
The main question I was asked while making this dish was – what is the difference between a frittata and a quiche? Well, there are a few things, but the big thing is a quiche has a crust and, is baked in the oven in a pie dish. The frittata I made is cooked on the stovetop in an oven-safe skillet, and placed in the broiler for the last 5 – 8 minutes.
I promise, even if you are just starting out in the kitchen you’ll will master this dish! You can enjoy this one for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Well, that’s a wrap! I hope you enjoy making these dishes as much as we did. Thank you to all of the beautiful ladies who made this day possible!
Simple, Fresh, Summer Meal
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars & Graham Cracker Crust
- 2 packages organic cream cheese
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
- zest 2 medium lemons
- juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1pint organic blueberries
- 10 organic cinnamon graham crackers
- 6tbs melted organic coconut oil
- 1/3cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2cup toasted almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in egg, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla until creamy.
- Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in blueberries.
- Gently place cream cheese mixture over cooled crust, and bake 30-40 min. The cheesecake bars will be fluffy until cooled.
- Let cool for 30min then place in refrigerator to cool for an additional 2 – 3hrs.
- Toast almonds in oven 5 – 10 mins until golden brown.
- Place crackers in a blender or food processor. Blend until crackers look like bread crumbs. Or you can place crackers in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Line a 9in baking dish with foil – a little extra hanging over the sides.
- Place blended crackers into lined pan, Mix in melted coconut oil, sugar and almonds.
- Pat crust into bottom of pan.
- Bake for 5 – 10min or until crust is golden brown.
Spinach Goat Cheese Salad & Honey Vinaigrette
- 8oz organic spinach
- 1/2 cup organic strawberries sliced & 1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
- 2-4oz organic goat cheese
- 1/4cup toasted almond slices
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic honey
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- In large salad bowl combine spinach, strawberries, goat cheese & almond slices. Mix well,
- Make vinaigrette – In a small or medium jar combine olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and salt & pepper. Place lid on jar and shake to combine all ingredients.
- Drizzle dressing over salad a little at a time, tossing as you go. Once salad is lightly coated with dressing let set about 10min before serving.
Asparagus Frittata with Goat Cheese
- 6 organic large eggs
- 2tbs organic milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 bunch organic asparagus cut into 1/2in pieces
- 1 organic tomato sliced and seeded
- 1 shallot diced
- 1/4 cup organic goat cheese
- 1 avocado sliced
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 9-10 inch (oven-safe) skillet.
- Add chopped asparagus. Sauté until tender (about 5min).
- Add diced shallot, sliced tomato and salt & pepper. Sauté another 5min.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies, cook until edges are set and middle is almost set.
- Sprinkle goat cheese on top of frittata and broil for 5-6min until middle is firm.
- Top with sliced avocado.
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.