It’s almost summer, and I will be celebrating the season here on Bluberry Pancakes Forever!! I’m getting started early with these fresh summer-like Ahi Tuna Tacos. Living in Austin for 10 years influenced my cooking style in a huge way, and I’m bringing that (healthy) southern style to my home here in the midwest. My fave tacos to order at any Austin restaurant are fish tacos, and believe me there is an endless supply of delicious tacos to choose from in that city.
I want to share some of that special “Austin” flare with all of you with these Ahi Tuna tacos!
I have been experimenting with making my own corn tortillas, and it’s been going surprisingly well! I don’t have a tortilla press, so my tortillas have been coming out in all kinds of weird shapes. My solution has been to use a 5in or 6in bowl to cut them into perfect circles. Now, of course if you don’t have the time you can skip this step and purchase your favorite corn tortillas.
I love fruit and fish combos! Personally I always feel like I’m being swept away to the beach when I bite into a fish taco topped with mango salsa. For this recipe I experimented with an orange and brown sugar marinade – it turned out wonderfully, and the avocado sauce balances out the sweetness of the marinade.
A few tips/notes:
I like my tuna cooked medium-well, but you can cook it to your liking!
I have found that rolling the tortillas a little thicker will hold the fish and other toppings without cracking the tortilla.
I let the fish marinade in the fridge for about 1.5hrs before broiling, and with about 1-2 mins left of broiling time I sprinkle with just a little more brown sugar. So good!!
Hope you enjoy these tasty tacos – Happy Summer!
Orange Marinated Ahi Tuna Tacos with Avocado Sauce
- 2 cups masa harina (available at most grocery stores)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
Ahi Tuna Tacos
- 2 ahi tuna steaks (organic if available)
- for marinade: 3 tbs extra virgin organic olive oil
- 1 tbs organic brown sugar
- zest of 1 medium orange
- 3 tbs fresh orange juice
- for avocado sauce: 2 – 3 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup organic plain greek yogurt
- 1 small pepper diced
- 1 medium organic tomato diced
- 1 – 2 tbs minced shallots
- 1 tbs organic cilantro diced
- 5 tbs lime juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- organic mixed greens
Ahi Tuna Tacos
- In a medium bowl whisk olive oil, brown sugar, orange zest and orange juice.
- Coat tuna with marinade and place on a non-stick cookie sheet in the fridge for about 1.5 hours.
- Once tuna is ready preheat broiler to about 425°. Broil tuna on cookie sheet – each side about 5 – 6 mins. (shorter time if you like it a little pink in the middle.)
- In a medium bowl mash avocados with a fork until creamy, add yogurt, diced pepper, diced tomato, minced shallots, diced cilantro, lime juice, salt and peeper. Mix until smooth and creamy. Place in the fridge while fish marinades.
Once the Ahi Tuna is ready layer your tortilla with the tuna, avocado sauce and mixed greens.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat (no oil).
- In a medium bowl combine masa harina and warm water. Adding water 1/2 cup at a time. Knead with hands until dough is smooth.
- Separate dough into about 12 – 14 balls. Place round dough between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll until about 1/4″ thick. Using a 5″ – 6″ bowl cut the dough into perfect circles.
- Place the raw tortillas in the hot skillet and cook each side about 2 – 3 mins until it’s slightly browned.
- cover tortillas to keep them warm until ready to eat! You will have lots left over to use again or to make cinnamon sugar coated tortilla treats!
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.