Oh how I love heart shaped cookie cutters, and making Valentine treats. It’s only a day away! What better way to show your love than Valentine donuts and heart shaped donut holes. ❤️ You’ll want to get started on these tasty breakfast treats right away so you can let the dough rise overnight … or you could let the dough rise all day and have them for dessert!
I was inspired by the Pioneer Woman’s cookbook to give homemade donuts a try. Growing up my mom would make them on special occasions, and I thought they were just amazing! I will always remember how deliciously moist and sweet those donuts were fresh off the skillet. MMMMM! These are just as delicious, but I replaced the white sugar with coconut sugar and heavy oil with coconut oil for frying. You know just so I could say they are “good for you”!
Also, you can top them with whatever you wish! I kept it simple with a powdered sugar glaze, dark chocolate and pecans, and cinnamon sugar. Next time I’m going for maple glaze!
The longest and most important part of the process is letting the dough rise! I let mine rise in the fridge for about 6 hours, and once I cut them out I let them rise for another 45mins – 1hr until they looked nice a fluffy.
In the skillet I added about 1/4 cup of unrefined organic coconut oil for frying the donuts. The oil did not cover them entirely, so I flipped them once. I thought it would be too much if I added more oil to the skillet, but you are welcome to give it a try. I love the way the coconut oil gives the donuts a crispy exterior while keeping the center soft, also the oil gives them a delicious unique flavor! Just writing about these donuts is making my mouth water.
Note: To make the heart donut holes I used one of the cutters from my Spritz Cookie maker collection. Or you could make bigger donuts with a bigger heart shaped cookie cutter for the holes.
I hope you and your Valentine enjoy these tasty donuts! ❤
Valentine Donuts (Guilt Free)
- 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cup organic whole milk – warm
- 3 tsp instant active yeast
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 1/4 sticks organic unsalted butter – melted
- 4 cups organic unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil
Dark Chocolate & Pecans
- 3/4 cup organic dark chocolate chips – melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 – 2tbs organic whole milk (to make thinner add more milk a little at a time)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
Cinnamon & Coconut Sugar
- 2tbs organic unsalted butter – melted
- 3tbs coconut sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- Place warm milk in a medium bowl with coconut sugar, and active yeast. Let sit for 5mins until yeast bubbles and activates.
- In a smaller bowl whisk eggs, and melted butter then add to milk mixture. Transfer milk/butter mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a large bowl combine flour and salt.
- Turn mixture on low speed and add flour & salt a little at a time into the wet mixture. Turn the speed up to medium, and mix until well incorporated and dough forms.
- Once dough is mixed and forms into a ball place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rise in the refrigerator for 6-10hrs/overnight.
- Remove from fridge and let warm to room temperature (about 1.5hrs)
- On a floured surface roll out dough to about 1/2in thick.
- Using a round cutter (I used a glass) cut out donuts. Once cut use your heart shaped cutter to cut out donut holes.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, and transfer donuts and donut holes to cookies sheets to let rise for about 1hour or until fluffy.
- In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup of the coconut oil over med/high heat. To test the oil is ready you can drop one of the donut holes in the oil until it starts to sizzle.
- Place donuts in the oil and flip once the raw side is golden brown – about 3 mins each side.
- Line baking sheets or plates with paper towels and place donuts on the towels to drain.
- Dark Chocolate & Pecans – Melt 3/4 cups of dark chocolate chips in a small saucepan. Transfer chocolate to a shallow bowl. Dip cooled donut into chocolate and set on drying rack. Sprinkle donuts with pecans.
- Powdered Sugar Glaze – In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Add more milk a little at time if you want a thinner glaze. Place in a a shallow bowl and dip cooled donut into mixture and set on drying rack.
- Cinnamon & Coconut Sugar – In a shallow bowl combine melted butter, coconut sugar, and cinnamon until well combined. Dip cooled donut into sugar mixture and set on drying rack.
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.