I made my Ham & Red New Potato Soup for the first time this Fall, and it instantly became a favorite around my house! My man couldn’t get enough of it (I think he’s my #1 fan!) It’s full of delicious, good for you, fresh ingredients.
I like to make my potato soup with organic Red New Potatoes, leaving the skin on for added vibrancy & nutrients. These potatoes have a subtly sweet flavor while having a low sugar content, making them a great alternative to Russet Potatoes.
When buying potatoes I choose organic. The thin skin of a potato will allow chemicals to seep through, and usually non organic potatoes (and all non organic produce) have been genetically modified. I am not an expert, but I stick with the healthiest options available to me.
This soup paired with whole grain crackers makes an amazing combination! The crackers tend to balance out the sweetness of the potatoes and carrots, and add that extra crunch.
Some Tips: I usually stick with milk for this soup, but if you want to treat yourself a bit replace 1/2 cup of the milk for 1/2 cup of half & half.
For a little crispness I add the carrots and celery last, and cook just until the carrots are soft.
Now let’s fill the air with the aroma of boiling potatoes!
Ham & Red New Potato Soup Prep time: 12mins Total time: 45mins
This recipe is simple and delicious!
- 6-8 red new potatoes diced* about 3 1/2 cups
- 1 shallot diced*
- 1 yellow onion chopped*
- 2 cups chicken broth*
- 3/4 cup cooked ham chopped*
- 1 cup spinach*
- 1/2 cup baby carrots chopped*
- 1/2 cup celery chopped*
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 tbs butter*
- 4 tbs cornstarch or flour*
- 2 cups milk or 1 1/2 cups milk & 1/2 cup half & half*
- 1 tbs coconut oil or olive oil*
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 5-8qt pot.
- Add potatoes, onions and shallots to the pot, and cook on medium heat until potatoes and onions are browned. About 6-8 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender. About 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in cornstarch or flour until combined, stirring constantly.
- Slowly stir in milk a little at a time to reduce the amount of lumps that can form. Continue stirring until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once potatoes are tender scoop about 3/4 of the soup into a blender. Leaving some whole potatoes and onions in the pot. You may need to do this in two sessions so the blender doesn’t overflow. Puree soup in the blender then pour back into the pot. Be careful when transferring soup, it will be hot!
- Pour milk mixture into the pot, then add ham, carrots, celery, spinach and salt & pepper. Cook on low heat until carrots are soft. About 1o-15 minutes.
- Let soup cool for 10mins before serving.
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.