The aroma of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves always brings me back to Fall baking with my mom. When the weather started to cool down she would finally let me turn the oven on again after a hot Texas summer!
This is one of my prized fall cookie recipes! Last Christmas I spent a few weeks making batch after batch of these delightful cookies to mail out to family and friends. It was such a treat to hear how much everyone appreciated them.
These cookies are so dreamy! Honey Spice has to be my mans favorite cookie recipe, and If I have some making up to do I know I can always make things right by whipping up a batch.
This recipe took time and patience to perfect, and it was well worth it! You can feel good while eating these cookies. They are full of amazing, anti-inflammatory spices and local honey to help ward off allergies. You should be able to find local honey in your grocery store, health food store or farmers market.
Some Tips: The batter will be pretty sticky, but once baked the cookies will be soft in the middle and crispy on the edges. If you prefer a fluffier cookie try adding just a 1/4 cup more flour to the recipe.
I use dark chocolate chips for the rich flavor and the added antioxidants. You can always use semisweet chocolate chips or chop up a bar of baking chocolate if that’s what you prefer.
I have been baking with coconut sugar for awhile now, and I have gotten great results. I like to sprinkle these cookies with coconut sugar before they go into the oven to give them an extra hint of sweetness. You can use raw cane sugar or brown sugar if coconut sugar is not available to you.
Honey Spice Dark Chocolate Cookies Makes: 24 Cookies Prep time: 10mins Total time: 25mins
Take time to enjoy the aroma of fall spices while making these cookies.
- 2 cups organic unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp organic ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp organic ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp organic ground cloves
- 3/4 cup organic unrefined coconut oil (melted and cooled)
- 3 tbs organic unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 large organic egg
- 1/2 cup local honey
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 12oz bag organic dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup raw organic sugar or organic coconut sugar (sprinkle over cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl combine flour (add a 1/4 cup more flour for a fluffier cookie), baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, pepper and cloves.
- In a large bowl beat melted coconut oil, butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add in egg, honey and vanilla until well combined.
- Gently fold in flour mixture a little at a time until combined being careful not to over mix. Then fold in chocolate chips. (dough will be sticky)
- Place heaping tablespoons of dough onto parchment paper, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until the edges are firm, and golden brown. If left in too long the cookies will be extra crispy.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk and a smile on your face!
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.