This stew is perfect for lunch or dinner, and it will give your house that warm fuzzy feeling. When the seasons change along with the produce I get VERY excited! (nerd alert!) With all of the hearty fall veggies, this stew is very grounding and comforting.
Since the stew takes some time to complete I like to make it on the weekends, and I usually let it sit in the refrigerator over night to allow all of the flavors to meld together. I’m usually cooking for two, so there are plenty of leftovers for the week or to freeze for later.
Some tips: If Veggies are more your thing you can leave out the chicken and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
I leave the skin on the sweet potatoes for the added nutrients. The skin will soften as it cooks in the broth.
I’ve tried topping the stew with feta cheese and goat cheese and I prefer the goat cheese, but you are free to choose your cheese!
I like to use organic chicken thighs in the stew because they are tender and add great flavor. The thighs could be substituted with organic chicken breasts if desired, but you may need to add a little extra salt when seasoning.
Chicken & Veggie Stew Prep time: 20mins Total time: 1.5hrs
- 1lb organic chicken thighs – chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs italian seasoning
- 3 tsp rosemary
- 1 tbs fresh basil – chopped
- 1tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 med red onion – chopped
- 1 med yellow onion – chopped
- 1 shallot – diced
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes – chopped
- 1 cup broccoli – chopped
- 1/2 cup baby carrots – chopped
- 1 small zucchini – chopped
- 1 small yellow squash – chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms – chopped
- 1 32oz box organic low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- top with goat cheese
- all veggies in this recipe are organic
- In a 5 – 8qt pot saute chicken thighs in olive oil, until cooked through.
- Add onions and shallots, cook until soft.
- Then add italian seasoning, rosemary, basil, turmeric, sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, broth, water, lemon juice and zest.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover for at least an hour.
- Add additional salt & pepper to taste.
- Let the stew cool on the stove top for about 20mins or overnight in the refrigerator if you have more time.
- Serve in a bowl topped with fresh basil and goat cheese.
Enjoy with friends & family! ❤
©Bluberrypancakesforever.com Please do not use my images or recipes without prior permission.